2.26.2012

2012 NFL Scouting Combine: Janoris Jenkins tries to convince NFL teams he's a changed man

INDIANAPOLIS – For Janoris Jenkins, interviews at the NFL Scouting Combine have been more like interrogations.

How many times has he been arrested? How many drug tests did he fail in college? Does he still smoke marijuana?

Jenkins, a 5-foot-10 cornerback from North Alabama, is hoping his draft stock is not severely hurt by his troubled past. It’s an interesting case. Jenkins is one of the draft’s most talented corners with clear first-round talent. But he may fall to the second round, because teams must determine if Jenkins has really matured, or if he has simply learned to say the right things.

'One of the ultimate boom-or-bust guys in this draft,’’ said NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock during a pre-Combine conference call.

Sunday during his media session, Jenkins was calm and straightforward, patiently answering questions. After all, Jenkins has a lot of explaining to do.

"I’m grateful for my second chance,’’ said Jenkins, who landed at North Alabama after being dismissed from the team at Florida.

Jenkins said he failed one drug test at Florida and was arrested three times -- once for a bar fight and twice for marijuana possession. When teams have asked about those incidents at the Combine, Jenkins said he didn't make excuses.

"I was honest, straightforward," Jenkins. "Told them I did it. I admitted to everything. I take full responsibility. I learned from it. It made me a stronger person. How to separate myself from certain guys, certain people. In order to be successful at the next level, I can’t do the things that I used to do.’’

Teams looking for a first-round corner have options. Morris Claiborne of LSU, Leonard Johnson of Iowa State, Trumaine Johnson of Montana and Dre Kirkpatrick of Alabama are among the other top prospects. Any of those corners would be a safer pick than Jenkins. But Jenkins has eye-opening ability. Some think he can be a better NFL corner than former Florida teammate Joe Haden, drafted seventh by the Browns in 2010.

However, Jenkins knows some teams will eliminate him from their draft board. What’s past is not always past. Not when it comes to paying a draft pick millions of dollars and trusting him to stay out of trouble.

"I’m pretty sure it will hurt me," Jenkins said. "But I’m moving past that."

Jenkins has plenty of motivation to earn NFL dollars. He is 23 years old, but he already has four children ranging in age from three years old to three months.

Playing at North Alabama was far different than being at Florida. North Alabama sometimes played on Thursday night, giving Jenkins a chance to watch Florida play on Saturdays. Jenkins said that was difficult.

"It struck me," Jenkins said. "I was just like, 'Man, I’m supposed to be there with those guys.

"It made me appreciate a lot. Coming from Florida, getting three or four pair of cleats a week. Going to North Alabama, getting one pair of cleats. Playing in front of 3,500 people. Being in The Swamp, playing in front of 95,000 is a big difference."

Jenkins said he had given up marijuana.

"I’m done," Jenkins said. "I can’t do it. I thought about my mom and my kids. In order for them to have a nice life, I have to put that aside."

When defensive backs go through Combine workouts on Tuesday, Jenkins hopes to impress with his speed and overall skill-set. Jenkins said he was rarely tested at North Alabama, only thrown at by opposing quarterbacks three or four times per game. Why challenge Jenkins when you can throw elsewhere?

Now Jenkins is back competing against college football’s best players, vying for attention at the Combine, trying to convince interested teams he is a changed man. The Cowboys (No. 14 pick), Bengals (No. 17) and Lions (No. 23) are among the teams that could take a hard look at Jenkins.

If they all pass, Jenkins could tumble into Round 2. However, cover corners are precious commodities, and Jenkins may be the most talented of this year’s group.

"They see the talent," Jenkins said. "They just want to know what kind of kid I am. I’m not a bad kid. I’ve made a few mistakes and I learned from them. Everything I did, I did. I’m admitting it. I did it. I’m looking to put that in my past and move forward."

But the Combine will help determine how much Jenkins’ past impacts his future.

没有评论:

发表评论