3.22.2012

Ramon Sessions playing well for Lakers, but when will he start?

After Ramon Sessions’ first game with the Los Angeles Lakers, coach Mike Brown said Steve Blake would remain the team’s starting point guard “for the foreseeable future, until there is a time that I think I need to make a change and right now I don’t see a time right now. But who knows?”

But Sessions has been impressive in his first four games with L.A., and his offensive production has improved steadily in each outing—his point totals are 7, 10, 14 and 17. He’s also averaging 6.0 assists and has shot 17-for-30 from the field in that span.

Blake took over starting duties when Derek Fisher was traded last week, and his season averages are just 5.1 points and 3.5 assists per game.

But while it seems just a matter of time until Sessions gets the starting nod, he admits he’s still learning the Lakers’ systems.

"I'm definitely not up to speed yet," Sessions said, per the L.A. Daily News. "I'm not comfortable like I would like to be just because I don't know exactly where everybody is supposed to be out on the floor. I'm starting to know more plays for myself as where I'm supposed to go. ... I'm going to get it sooner or later. ”

Sessions certainly has the approval of Kobe Bryant. After finishing with 30 points on 11-for-18 shooting in Wednesday night’s 109-93 win in Dallas, Bryant, according to ESPN, said of his new teammate, "We just let him handle the ball. You saw me off the ball a lot, more than probably you've ever seen me. As a result, my night was a lot easier. I really didn't have to work. I had, what, 30 points? I didn't have to work for any of it because he's doing all the penetrating and I was getting great screens."

Brown continues to deflect questions about when the change will be made.

"I haven't really thought about that yet. (It's) a matter of him continuing to learn and grow and understand what we're trying to do on both ends of the floor. It's tough. It's going to take time for him to become acclimated."

1 条评论: