3.30.2012

Pending free agent Terry: I could be asset to Heat

Dallas Mavericks guard Jason Terry, who will be a free agent this summer, says the Miami Heat intrigue him, Fox Sports Florida reported.

Speaking before Thursday’s 106-85 Heat victory over the Mavs in a rematch of the 2011 NBA Finals, Terry said: "Miami is definitely a title contender. For sure. (Heat president) Pat Riley is a great guy and what he's done with the organization is tremendous.

"No question, they need a veteran shooter, a guy who can score besides LeBron (James) and (Dwyane Wade), and they know they can count on. I'm a guy that's been in this league 13 years, (averaging) 15 points a night, easy. Off the bench or the starting lineup, it doesn't matter. So I think I'd be an asset to them."

According to Fox Sports Florida, one hurdle Terry, 34, would face before joining the Heat is that Miami will have available only the midlevel exception for luxury-tax-paying teams, which is $3 million. Terry is making $11.2 million this season.

He said, however, that he wouldn't rule out being part of a sign-and-trade deal.

Terry, a combo guard, struggled in Thursday’s Mavericks loss, going 1-for-10 from the floor for three points.

Asked by Fox Sports Florida if it would be odd to join the Heat after playing against them for the Mavericks in hotly contested Finals in 2006 and ’11, Terry responded: "Not at all. That jersey has a logo on it. It says, 'NBA.' No matter what team it is (that he is plays for next season), it doesn't matter. So I'll be excited."

Terry's preference had been to stay with the Mavericks. But he said he would shop himself this summer after Dallas elected not to re-sign him before the season in order to open salary-cap space for this summer.

He said Mavs owner Mark Cuban and others in the organization were upfront with him before the season about wanting to clear cap room to go after Magic center Dwight Howard and Nets guard Deron Williams this summer. Howard since has agreed to not opt out of his contract with Orlando, and Williams remains in play.

"My main goal was to come back and retire a Maverick," Terry said. "After no extension this past offseason, I figure it may be time for me to move on. But you never know … I would love to (continue) in a Maverick uniform, don't get me wrong. But we'll see what happens. … They said they want me back. But you can say all you want, you got to show me. Like Jerry Maguire said, 'Show me the money.'"

没有评论:

发表评论